Bridges and Civil Engineering Structures
- The company has excellent capability and creativity to find the most economic solution, yet technically sound and safe structure.
- Due to these qualities we became the most preferred consulting engineering company among the contractors competing on Design-Build bids projects.
- The company is specialized in the spliced girders method.
- This method is the way to maximize span/depth ratio for bridges composed of pre-cast girders.
- Utilization of this method, combined with the company developed system for optimization of post-tensioned tendon profiles, enables reducing 20%-40% of the structures cost, compared to other alternative design methods.
Zohar Bridge is composed of standard precast AASHTO VI girders with 52 meter span. B9 Bridge on road 431 is composed of standard channel girders 1.80 meter deep with 54 meter span. The Histadrut Bridge is composed
of channel precast girders 2.5 meter deep with 72 meters span: this is the largest span spliced girder bridge and among one of the largest bridges composed of precast elements with this span/depth ratio.
The company designs integral abutments bridges up to 80 meters long, including bridges with large diameter concrete piles. The integral abutments bridges avoid the need for bearings and expansion joints,
reducing construction cost and dramatically minimizing the maintenance cost. The integral abutments bridges improve the riding quality of vehicles. Accurate analysis of the creep, shrinkage, temperature
difference effects and the foundation soil interaction is accomplished, resulting in a very well performing bridge.
Typical Design-Build Projects:Histadrut Bridge over road 22 - Spliced concrete precast girders 72 meters span
- The Histadrut Bridge is 320 meters long and 32 meters wide. The new road 22 runs over the intersection of wide and busy streets, over a railway and over an area with very congested underground utilities.
- The original design was two parallel balanced cantilever cast in place segmental bridges. The spans were 95 and 85 meters and the superstructure depth was variant 5/3.2 meters.
- By combining the two parallel bridges in one and centering the piers, we found room for foundation enabling us to reduce the span to 72 meters.
- By changing the construction system to spliced girders, we reduced the superstructure depth to a constant 2.7 meters, achieving a much better looking bridge and cutting the material amount and cost by half.
Givataym Pedestrian Bridge
- Winner of an architectural competition limited to a very low budget.
Railway over road 20
- The railway is crossing the Road 20 with a very sharp angle of only 7°.
- The original design was to cover the entire polygon made by the exterior lines of the road and the railway with transverse beams, ending with a total bridge area of 6000 square meters.
Stern Y.D.E. Engineers offered an alternative solution minimizing the width of the bridge to that required by the dual rails. The bridge is supported on transverse monolitc post-tensioned concrete frame,
spanning 22 meters from each side of the road. The transverse frames are made from cast in situ precast post tensioned girders. The girders were placed on the columns and monolithically connected.
- The longitudinal beams have continuity through the transverse frames.
Bridge B9 – local road over 431 road
- Spliced 1.80 meter depth channel pre-cast girders. Main span 54 meters - one of the largest span/depth ratio for bridges composed of pre-cast girders.
Zohar Bridge – road 31 over Zohar River
- Height: 40 meters high above the river bed, maximum span: 52 meters.
- The bridge is located close to the Dead Sea in a high seismic risk zone.
- The superstructure is made of spliced AASHTO VI girders continuously post-tensioned.
- Due to this construction method and the optimization of the cable layout, this is the bridge with the longest span using standard AASHTO VI girders.
Har Yona Bridge, Nazareth City
- The superstructure is a pre-cast segmental box girder, located in Nazareth City.
- Small horizontal curvature radius: 140 meters only.
A13-10 bridge – road 444 over road 6
- Maximum spans: 38 meters, total length: 140 meters, made of pre-stressed channel girders.
- This bridge is one of many bridges, which were designed by the company for road 6 - Cross Israel Highway.
Bet Yehoshua - road 553 over railway
- Hybrid composite steel girders, up to 44 meters span, length 130 meters.
Bridge B2- road 4 over road 431
- Spliced 1.80 meter channel pre-cast girders, 50 meters span 7000 square meters total area.
Bridge B6 - road 431 over local road
- Single span integral abutments bridge, 35 meters span, composed of 1.4 meters channel pre-cast girders.
Over pass over road 6
- 80 meters long integral bridge.
I6, 5-6 – road 1 over road 431
Tunnel – Jerusalem
- Cut & cover 900 meters long tunnel.
Binyamina - Road over Railway